Causes of Dehydrated Skin & How to Treat It
If you signed up to our VIP list, you may have answered our Main Concerns questions. Would it surprise you that dryness & dehydration cause the biggest concern?
What Causes Dehydrated Skin?
Age, hormones, exposure to sun and elements, lifestyle, stress, and diet are all contributing factors to dry and dehydrated skin. Dry skin according to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is a quite common skin condition during winter, however, in our harsh Australian climate we tend to suffer dehydration all year round. It can happen to anyone at any age and gender—regardless of how healthy your skin is?
Why is dehydration such a concern to so many?
I have heard many reasons over the years why clients want to cure their dehydration. They range from uncomfortable skin, rough feeling skin, uneven skin tone, but there is so much more. Skin which suffers from dehydration is more prone to ageing, breakouts, sensitivity and the list goes on. Much of what we look to treat, would be 100% better off if the skin wasn't so thirsty! Water is essential for the healthy functioning of the skin and body.
What do we use to treat dehydrated skin? Would it surprise you to know that at age 35 our skin contains around 65% natural hyaluronic acid, while at 60 only 20-10% remains? Hyaluronic Acid is widely known as the best ingredient to treat dehydrated skin as it plays an essential role in skin hydration. Did you know there are several sizes of hyaluronic acid, and each has a different role and function on the skin?
Here's a quick guide
- High weight - non-blocking (for my oily skin readers) instant moisture hit and protective film over the skin which protects against moisture loss and recovers moisture levels.
- Medium weight - strengthens natural defences - optimal skin health, if you suffer from oily, sensitive, or mature skin - be very sure your hyaluronic has a medium weight. The antibacterial flora which is your skin's first line of defence is protected by medium weight, your skin will heal faster, look brighter and healthier. It just doesn't have to work so hard when your flora is happy.
- Light weight - deep, long-lasting hydration happens here. Thanks to the low molecular weight it works on the dermis and penetrates deeper. This one reduces the roughness and depth of wrinkles and gives your long-lasting hydration.
- Gentle Cleanser - we love a milk
- use a toner (ours contain hyaluronic acid and enhance penetration of your serums - like a waterslide for Active Ingredients!)
- an exfoliant once a week - removal the barrier of dead skin which slows penetration and creates a dull skin
- use a serum with a high percentage of Hyaluronic Acid with all molecular weights
- finish with a moisturiser suited to your skin type and conditions
- don't forget your SPF!
- drink water